Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 3, June 16th, Ithaca, NY

Day 3 June 16th  Ithaca, NY

My Garmin says that it will be a 10-hour drive to Ithaca. Getting on the interstate early like this, may allow me to get to Ithaca faster than the 10 hours. I alternate between listing to a talking book, listing to the radio, and driving in silence. The outside temperature starts out warm and by late afternoon, I am driving with the air conditioner cooling me off. I figure I will make up for comfort during the hike. I am anticipating that I will start out hiking in hot weather.

As I cross the NY state line, it is early in the afternoon. I get the inspiration that I can save some postage money by dropping off my bounce box and food box at the Kelly Lodge in Ellicottville, NY. I check the map and it looks feasible. I call the Kelly Lodge and introduce myself as Garth Fisher from Wisconsin, that I am going to hike the FLT, and that I plan to stay at the Lodge. I explain about my food box and she says she will be there all afternoon and evening. I head out cross-country to Ellicottville. Ellicottville has a couple of ski hills and is quite busy in the winter. I see the ski hills and realize that western NY is quite tall hills and valleys. I get into town and have to ask the locate of the Lodge. When I pull into the lodge I see a large driveway, a large 2-story house and a large apartment building. I go into the building and see numbered rooms. I check the place out – TV’s, videos, common kitchen and lodge, and a laundry. I see a phone on the wall that gives a phone number to call to get in touch with the main house. I dial and Tracy answers and invites me over. Tracy is an attractive young woman who manages the Lodge. She worked as a social worker for 15 years and returned to Ellicottville over a year ago. She grew up here and has family nearby. We sit in the big house dining room and talk about the seasonal nature of a ski resort town. I leave my food box and bounce box and give her an approximate arrival date.

I head east towards Ithaca. I am considering dropping off a food box at N. Hornell but it has gotten a little later in the afternoon so I decide to continue on to Ithaca. I do not want to get there too late. I call Gina and tell her my location and what time the Garmin says I will arrive.

Driving into Ithaca, I see a large complex of college buildings on the hill north of me. As I drive to Pat and Gina’s house I marvel at the steepness of the streets and notice that all the streets are lined with parked cars almost bumper to bumper. I wonder what it must be like in the winter with a deep snow. There does not appear to be enough room for a snowplow let alone anyplace to put the removed snow. The Garmin takes me to their home at the end of a dead end street.

It is nice to get out and walk. I am greeted warmly and go into the right hand side of their duplex. I immediately feel a t home. Their son, 6-year-old Drew, has toys on the floor and a hamster cage on the floor. Drew tells me they are hamster sitting for a friend who is out of town for a couple of weeks. Gina and Pat are veggans. We have a marvelous meal of veggie’s, bread, and fruit. After carrying in all the food boxes and storing them in the guest bedroom, we talk of the AT in NJ, and out individual travels over the years since then. They assure me that snow removal is not a problem.

We determine that with everyone’s schedule, that Gina and Drew will drive me to the trailhead on the Pennsylvania boarder on Friday morning the 18th. This will give me a day to rest, get my gear organized, and go over my itinerary and the plans for the food drops. Gina tells me that tomorrow evening they are going to Julie’s for their once a week shared dinner and that I am welcome to participate. Hey, does a long distance hiker turn down a family meal???   Never !!!!!!  I go to sleep easily after a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment